I don’t think I’d mentioned it, but my WHOOP sensor died this week. They’re sending me a new one, but I feel so naked without it! I think I got a good night of sleep, but who really knows without the data to prove it. haha In the garage at 9:30.
- 7:00 BikeErg (3,562m)
- 7:00 Row (1,786m)
- 7:00 SkiErg (1,621m)
Then we did some handstand kick-ups after measuring like we should have last week, and did one here and there between sets.
Back & Chest
- 10 Weighted Ring Dips (20#)
- 10 Wide Grip Pull-ups
- 8/8 Decline Static Bench Press (50-60-60#)
- 8 Lat Pulldowns (126#)
- 8 Chest Fly (40-45-45# DBs)
- MAX Ring Rows (18-14-12)
Feeling yesterday’s workout already. Out in the garage at 9:30 to start.
- 400m Run
- 500m Row
- 1,000m BikeErg
- 500m SkiErg
I got faster as it went because my heart rate and breathing felt good. Then I really picked it up in the third round because I wanted to make sure I had time to finish the next run. Got through 3+506m.
Handstand Balance Breakthrough
- 20 Hollow Lats with Foam Roller
- 45/30/45/30s Hollow Body Wall Walk w/ 1:00 rests
- 30s Wall-facing Handstand Hold
Those controlled wall walks with a focus on quality are a lot harder. Excited to see where this program goes.
Back & Chest
- 10/10/10 Bench Press (105#, wide, neutral, close)
- 12 Reverse Close Grip Kneeling Lat Pulldown (104#)
- 20s Superman Hold
- 12 Chest Fly (35-40-40#)
- 12 Reverse Grip Straight Arm Pull Down (49#)
- 10 Supermen
- 8/8 Single Arm DB Bench Press w/ Hold (50#)
- 12 Seated Cable Row (115#)
Yeah, the upper body is feeling rough from that weight vest work on the rings. Not looking forward to how tomorrow will feel.
Another pair of Nano 9! These shoes are so good.
My back is tender, sore, and tight after the tweak. Out in the garage at 9:30.
Went 12,515 meters and felt good, increasing the pace over the time. I really feel good on the bike during these longer sessions.
- 12 Decline Lat Pulldowns (100#)
- 12/12 Kroc Rows (on Parallette, 35# KB)
- 12 Barbell Pullovers (45#)
- 16 alt Renegade Rows (50# DBs)
5 Sets w/ Drop Sets
- 8 Incline DB Back Flies (50#)
- 4 Drop Sets (45-40-35-30#)
Last time, on July 5th, I did 10-8-8-12 with 5# less per set. Today I did 8-8-8-10 for the drop sets. It sucked right from start with the 50 pounders.
Warmed up by doing 12 supinated bench press with 65# loaded.
- 12 Supinated Bench Press (135#)
- MAX Diamond Push-ups (16-14-12)
The push-ups were the movement that aggravated my back the most if I wasn’t keeping a solid position.
- 8/8 Single Arm DP Bench Press with hold
- 8 DB Bench Press
I used 40-45-45# and would not have made it with 50# dumbbells.
Tried to do some of the core movements and they didn’t feel good, so we skipped core work again. Maybe we’ll do some tomorrow at the track.
I’m starting to sleep in a little later again. Out in the garage for a 3pm workout today.
- 5:00 BikeErg (2,550m)
- 2 sets of 15 Steamboats in each position
- 8/8 Single Arm Bench Press w/ OH Hold (50#)
- MAX Dumbbell Bench Press (50#)
The single arm presses were done with the dumbbells in a line similar to a barbell and then the max set was with the DBs pulled in, parallel to each other. I did 16-12-10-20 for the max sets. It would be nice to have a set of 60s for dumbbell bench press.
- 12/12 Static Bicep Curls (25#)
- 12 Standing DB French Press (50#)
- 12 Hammer Curls (25# DBs)
- 12/12 Tricep Kickbacks (25# DB)
Those were some good supersets.
4 Rounds w/ Partner
- 10 Burpees / Plank
- 15 Pull-ups / Band Pull Down Hold
- 15 DB Push Press (35#) / HS Hold
- 30 Air Squats / Bottom Squat Hold
**One person does the hold while the other does their reps then switch places. Same thing with each movement pairing. Each round alternate your starting movement so you experience both orders for each pairing.
I haven’t done a partner workout with holds like this in years. After the strict handstand push-ups yesterday I didn’t want to get too heavy on the push presses, so I went with the 35 pounders and they were perfect because the last five reps got pretty slow each round. You don’t always have to go heavy to get in solid work. Did all pull-ups unbroken and they felt really good. Even my air squats were fast today. We finished in 18:46.
Was up early with some work stuff on my mind, so I got out of bed and spent an hour writing it up at a little after 5am. I need to get my sleep back on track because it hasn’t been very good the last 2-3 weeks. I’m either waking up way too early, going to bed later than I had been, or both. This heat is tiring too. Out in the garage at 4pm.
- 10:00 Bike Erg (5,092m)
- 10 Deadlifts (45#)
- 5 Deadlifts (95#)
- 10 HSPU
- 10 Deadlift (155/105#)
- 10 Pull-up
In round two I started going 5-5 on the deadlifts just to be safe with my back. In round three of the handstand push-ups I switched to 5-5. Pull-ups were all unbroken. Finished 5+27.
- 10 DB Bench Press
- 6/6 Single Arm DB Bench Press w/ OH Hold
- 10 DB Bench Press
These were tough. I used 40-40-45#.
- 10 Supinated DB Front Raises (15#)
- 10 DB Chest Fly (30#)
- 10 DB Shoulder Press (40#)
- 50m Double DB OH Carry (40#)
- 12 Standing OH DB Tricep Extensions (50#)
I was close to failure on these. Upper body was dead after all that.
I got some super sleep with about 9.5 hours last night and woke up to massive flooding in the surrounding areas. Luckily I’m five miles from the Tittabawassee River. My body feels pretty good. Out in the garage at 4pm.
- 3:00 SkiErg (635m)
15:00 AMRAP – 1-2-3…
- Power Clean (115/80#)
Thinking back, this is 3x as long with one more movement, compared to five minutes of burpees and HSPU last month, when I did 7+10. Definitely required more pacing today. I started out at a pretty solid pace though and was through round six around 5:00. I had done all my handstand push-ups unbroken at that point. Then I started breaking them up, going 4-3, 4-4, 3-3-3, 4-3-3, 6-2. Final score was 10+8. I was able to do every set of cleans unbroken, which felt good.
Strength / Accessory
- 8 DB Shoulder Press (35#)
- 50m Double DB OH Carry (35#)
Holding two dumbbells overhead is a real mobility test!
- 6/6 Single Arm DB Bench Press (50#, w/ rotation)
- 6 DB Bench Press (50#)
This was much harder than I expected.
- 12 DB Underhand Bench Press (40#)
- 24 Alt Seated Underhand Raise (20# DBs)
Later in the evening I did five minutes of practice doing frog stands to work on hand balance. Then I also did this long hold after a bit of rest to get a video for the ‘gram.